Thursday, July 05, 2007

A Rant

Okay, I haven't posted in awhile and when I do, I'm going to complain.

This morning one of my coworkers got in a fight with 2 people who were in her parking spot. Her disabled (because she's disabled) and reserved (because she broke her ankle and needs to park closer) parking spot. She asked them to move and they got out of their car and started yelling that he was just dropping his wife off and he could do that wherever the %$#^ he wants.

Now - I also have a pass to park in disabled parking spots until the end of July. I'm gradually moving my car to further and further spots preparing myself for my 15 minute walk to and from my office from my regular lot. I'm lucky. I'm not disabled but temporarily not supposed to walk that far. I'm sure everyone with a pass would love to walk the extra distance and not have to live with a disability. Since getting my pass, I have regularly been waved on past the appropriate spots by delivery drivers who were parked there temporarily. I have waited while people dropped their partners off (despite the fact that it's more convenient to do so further up, out of the spots). I have been told "I'm not parking, I'm just sitting in my car". I can't imagine having to deal with this permanently.

I will say this for the world - a few weeks ago the same friend didn't have her pass out yet and parked. A couple stopped her and politely let her know that this was a special parking spot. Despite their probable embarassment when she pulled out her pass and her crutches, she thanked them for being so considerate to those with disabilities.

Just think about it. Sitting in a designated parking spot and waiting for your friend to come can ruin someone's day. It can put them in more pain than necessary, increase the likelihood of slipping in the winter and, frankly, make your life a little more convenient while making someone else's life that is already complicated less convenient.

Rant over.

No comments: