Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Brussels Sprouts at the farm

I've gotten into the habit of calling Brownies "Brussels Sprouts" thanks to a very pregnant friend who was having cravings whenever I talked about my girls.

Last Saturday, we took the Brownies to Proulx Farms for a bit of an outing. There were 13 girls, 2 leaders, 1 parent who agreed to take on leader-type responsibility and one parent who, well, to be polite, didn't agree to take on leader-type responsibility...even for her own children.

A good time was had by all. Even the little girl who wouldn't do a lot of the different activities or let go of my hand. She still had fun and went through a couple of the haunted houses (which I skipped since they were dark and I trip at the best of times) and the maze. She even let go of my hand when one of the girls bumped her head and needed help in the maze. Actually, she didn't request help, she requested ice. In the middle of a maze. I was the only leader who went into the maze so I pressed my ice-cold hands to her head. I asked if that was good enough and she said it felt much better.

The cutest part was when a few of us were stuck in the maze (which was hard for me since I was tall enough to see over the walls but still followed the girls' instructions) a bunch of the Brownies climbed up on a hill where they could see us all and were cheering us on and telling us how to get out. It was so nice seeing this large-ish group of girls calling "Wise Owl, Wise Owl, turn left - that's great, you're doing great, you're almost out!" At the end, I think we helped all the parents that night since the girls were very tired.

An epiphany came to me during this episode - when we have the kid, we're going to have to start doing stuff and going places. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

No comments: