Thursday, August 27, 2009

If I Had A Million Dollars - I could buy Kraft Dinner

Kraft Dinner has always been considered a cheap meal. As the song goes, "If I had a million dollars, I wouldn't have to eat Kraft Dinner any more". It's considered to be a staple of university student who have no money (I actually know someone who got scurvy because she was pretty much on an all KD diet). When we first bought our house and had very little money, we pretty much ate it once a week because we could buy a case for about $0.50 a box.

I was at the store the other day and it was $1.47 a BOX!!! That generally serves 2 people. That's not even for a deluxe version. They're still trying to sell it to the university crowd but if you do the math, you can buy a box of pasta and a jar of sauce on sale that will make more than 2 meals and that's healthier that wouldn't cost much more than that. I have to say, I'm disappointed in Kraft. This is a company founded by the guy who figured out how to make processed cheese by using the outside dried cheese that they cut away to get to the good cheese inside. A company founded by someone frugal enough that he couldn't throw out the bad cheese...that I respect. Charging me over a dollar for $0.02 worth of pasta and powdered chemicals...that I don't.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I haven't bought KD in a long, long time. But I have found this recipe for fast mac and cheese - it really doesn't take any longer than making KD so you can't use the "it's fast" excuse.

I actually found this a while ago before she added the cornstarch/lemon suggestion and I don't add the ham. Just boil noodles, drain, return to warm pot, add butter, cheese, milk. Yum! (though I am going to try her updated version with cornstarch to see if it helps the stringyness)

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/quick_macaroni_and_cheese/