Friday, January 03, 2014

The worst gift you can give your wife

I've been hearing a lot of women lately commenting that their husbands can't or don't buy them Christmas gifts. These women either buy their own gifts or get nothing and generally feel underappreciated. I'm lucky in that I was raised in a house where my mother may have done most of the Christmas shopping but was then celebrated by my father. One notable year they said they would only get one gift for eachother and he gave her one giant box that he had divided into compartments - the last one was a pearl bracelet. I'm also lucky in that my husband loves buying me gifts, particularly clothes (which is particularly great since I hate clothes shopping). I carry most of the gift-buying load, but he definitely heads out for me. He always buys me a few things that I've mentioned and then clothes. Last year on Boxing Day I heard a radio personality commenting that he had purchased his ex-wife a gift that was the kiss of death for their marriage - a label maker. He realized after the fact that it was the worst gift you could give your wife. My first thought was: why didn't I think to ask my husband for that! This year, I mentioned it to my mother when she was asking about gifts, knowing it was a long shot. My mother kindly asks for suggestions but isn't a big fan of practical gifts. 4 years of asking for a pad for my dining room table taught me that (while my mother-in-law is all about getting exactly whatever crazy thing you ask for so I finally clued in and asked her for it). Therefore, it shouldn't have surprised me to be opening gifts with my in laws to see my label maker. Love. It doesn't count if your husband doesn't buy it for you but tells someone else to, right? As a sidenote, he wouldn't wear the "husband" label I made for him. Hmph.

No comments: