Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Going Green

As part of my blog’s rebirth and changes I’m trying to make to my own life, I’ve decided to include a weekly suggestion on how to "green" up your life. We all know that you shouldn’t keep your water on while you brush your teeth and that you should change your lightbulbs to use less energy. Shorter showers? Sure, I’ll try. But there are other little ways too.

Do I have my lifestyle modified so that I’m super-envirogirl (I’m assuming the costume would be made out of a new fabric like bamboo which can be surprisingly soft)? No. I figure that if everyone makes small changes or one person makes a whole bunch of small changes, it makes a difference.

This week, I would like to introduce the "green" stapler. I wouldn’t say it’s as effective as a normal stapler - the sheets aren’t as securely fastened and it doesn’t do more than 5 or 6 pages at once - but it’s also less dangerous. If you have kids or are particularly talented at jamming your fingers and clothes with staples, it’s even more beneficial. Imagine how often 2 or 3 papers are stapled together in an office and the number of stray staples that are hanging around. One other downside (I’m trying to be unbiased here!), once you separate the sheets, you can’t reattach them without puncturing a new, small hole.

Mine can be found at http://www.magicstapler.com/. They also have fun staplers for kids at http://http://www.amazon.com/Staple-Free-Stapler-Child-Safe/dp/B000JL389A/ref=pd_sim_dbs_k_title_7.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're posting again. I kept checking for the longest time, and nothing. And now, tons!

We too try to be more environmental. You're right, we're not making huge changes (no reusable toilet paper or anything), but I'd like to think it helps.

I'd list some things Dave and I do, but that might take away from your future suggestions.

Kel said...

Go for it! The more the merrier. I'm sure I can come up with something unique that you wouldn't have thought of...I bet you don't look for biodegradable poo bags for example!

Anonymous said...

Ah, a challenge! In fact I have thought of biodegradable poo bags! (they sell them at Canadian Tire) but we haven't bought them yet.

Some of the things we do:

-reusable grocery bags (I even have a small, "portable" one I keep with me in case I do shopping at lunch on unexpectedly on the way home).

-We still use paper towel for certain things, but we've largely replaced them with rags

-Clean the bathroom with baking soda and dishsoap or borax, and replaced commercial kitchen spray with homemade spray involving vinegar

-Our apt. has installed water efficient toilets. (OK, we didn't do that, they did, but hey, we use it!)