I guess everyone needs a hobby - mine seems to be ranting.
The bus. Oh how I hate you. I always get a seat for some portion of my bus ride since I'm one of the last stops. The way home, however, I'm one of the first stops, so I always get a seat. Why is this, of all things, rant-worthy you ask? I always have to give my seat up! I don't mind getting up and moving for people who need seats: people who are disabled in any way, pregnant women, small children and anyone who generally looks like they're more likely to fall down from standing than I am. The problem is that nobody else does! Yesterday I was a near the middle of the bus when I noticed a pregnant woman come on. Not a "is she/isn't she" pregnant woman. This was an, "I'm really tiny and look like I swallowed a basketball because I'm pretty far along" pregnant woman. I couldn't catch her eye as she stood there and there were far too many people for me to get up and offer her my seat without one of the others snagging it. I waited until a few stops later when she had to cram to the back. She looked relieved and thanked me.
Rewind a few days. Crammed bus again but this time a woman with a small (3 or so) kid. I'm tall and I was feeling crushed on the bus with all the people. This time, however, the woman said to the little boy "ask if someone will move so that you can sit down". He promptly said, to nobody in particular, "MOVE! So I can sit down!" Again, I wasn't right at the front but I was close enough that with a little jiggling and a lot of dirty looks, I could let the boy sit down (after I had stopped laughing and his mother had explained that she meant to ask politely). This not only meant the mother looked relieved and thanked me, I also got to be entertained by a little boy on the bus.
WHAT'S WRONG WITH PEOPLE??? Why am I always the only one to stand up? It's not like I jump out of my seat, hand in the air screaming "MEEEEEEEE, take MY seat".
Thursday, November 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment