A colleague came in to my office today - he's moving and has packed his dictionary and needed to look something up so he wanted to borrow mine. I love dictionaries and have a lovely one at home in the front cupboard (or closet according to my husband and brother-in-law who both hate that my sister and I use the terms interchangeably). I don't have one at work. Why? Because I'm online all day and it's just as easy to look a word up online.
I asked him what he was looking up - catharsis. So I gave him the definition et voila - no need for a dictionary. Unfortunately my other colleague who sits next to me isn't in today...he's as geeky as me when it comes to words and definitions and grammar. Then I probably would have gotten an entertaining discussion as to whether my definition (an emotional cleansing) was actually a connotation as opposed to the definition of "a purging". All in good fun and as my grade 12 english teacher used to say, "words mean things, Dave".
Monday, March 09, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment