I haven't written in a long time because I've been away or getting ready to go away - but now I'm back.
First, some exciting news - I finished my taxes last night! That may not seem exciting to some but given that I just finished last year's taxes, it's pretty good - a whole day early too.
So, Saturday night at 11:45 I got back home from Winnipeg. My first time to Manitoba and my first time having a hotel room to myself. I have to say, despite the anxiety causing me to wake up early, I wake up waaaaay less at night without a snorer next to me. Winnipeg (or Brandon actually) was okay although I didn't really get to see much. I did get to hear Susan Aglukark singing at the opening ceremony of the Rural Forum, was served way too much roast beef (other than the high school boys I was sitting with, very few people were able to eat all 5 slices on their plate), spent a long 7 hours in Winnipeg between having things to do and getting on the plane - of course, I got a manicure so that helped pass the time.
A couple of observations...when people say that the prairies are so flat, you know it's true but what I found surprising was how far you can see. Of course that's because of the flatness but it's amazing how far you can see without any pesky mountains to get in the way. Also (and again, I don't know why this surprised me), there were a lot of white people, a lot of aboriginal people and...well that's it. I guess you get so used to the variety that it's strange. Of course, we don't have a lot of aboriginal people here so that was a little different too. At the banquet they had someone come and say grace. I found that weird - I've seen it done at wedding but any business events I can't imagine them ever doing that. I guess it goes back to the diversity thing but when I mentioned that they wouldn't do that in Ottawa, people were shocked. I guess we're a bunch of heathens out here.
Overall, the people were friendly (especially the sponsors I sat with at dinner who really enjoyed their drinks!), the places were nice if quiet and not so populated and not a lot of business got done since the person I was primarily there to meet with was unable to attend due to an emergency at the last minute! K - Gotta go, Nikki's here!
Monday, May 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
welcome back Kelley! :-) Now to set a lunch date.
I bet I could have eaten 5 slices... mmmm roast beef *drool*
Post a Comment