Tuesday, March 25, 2008

It’s so easy being green we can do it in our sleep

The husband and I went mattress shopping yesterday. I know, I know, we’re being wasteful. A mattress should obviously last at least 40 years and be owned by at least 4 people. Unfortunately, our current mattress only fits one of those criteria. Upon our description of it, the “Mattress Man” called it a 2-person hammock. To be fair, it’s more of a 2-person-and-1-dog hammock but I’m getting tired of climbing out of it in the morning with a sore hip.

Our new mattress is to be delivered next week. When he told us that they had some environmentally friendly(er) mattresses, husband gave me “the look”. That’s the “uh oh, this is going to cost more but she’s going to want it anyway” look which got an immediate response of “okay, who’s the greenie?” from Mattress Man. How is it green? First, it’s made with latex which is made from a renewable resource and has the added benefit of not creating a hospitable environment for dust mites. Also, the covering is mostly bamboo with just enough polyester to keep it from fraying. After finding us the best pillows for us and determining the kind of bed we needed, we tried out a bunch and it was hands down the most comfortable. It was also hands down the most expensive. Lying on it I remarked loudly to husband “Honey, I love it, but let’s face it, it’s just too expensive”. Cut to us getting $1000 off and the pillows for ½ price. In case you’re wondering, no, Mattress Man doesn’t wear a cape…but in my opinion, he should (as long as he isn’t fighting crime because we all know that’s just dangerous). Husband’s favourite moment…getting in the car and saying “you’re going to tell your friends about this, aren’t you?”…my reply “I’m so blogging about this”.

No comments: