- Golden Years (wa wa wa) – I know a lot of people don’t like this movie but we find A Knight’s Tale entertaining. I’m not a huge Heath Ledger fan either way but I like him in this – especially when you see his freckles because he doesn’t look “Hollywood”. The switching of the classical music into Golden Years is well done and the “olden” dancing morphing to current dancing is fun.
- Nobody puts Baby in the corner – Ah, Dirty Dancing. I can’t count the number of times I’ve seen the movie or fast forwarded to the dance scenes. Particularly on a Friday night with Amber and popcorn in high school. Good girl hooks up with “bad” guy and mixes ballroom dancing with dirty dancing – how can you not love it? They even built a way into the story to make the friends have a feasible reason for all knowing the same dance choreography.
- Footloose. Do I really need to explain? I’m not sure how I feel about the remake with Zach (?) Ephram but dancing actually makes Kevin Bacon look good.
- It goes to show you never can tell - Mrs. Neil Wallace and Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction. My favourite John Travolta movie although it was hard to pick just one of his for this list. I like that they have a certain lazy attitude to their dancing even though Uma Thurman’s character has already expressed her desire to win Jack Rabbit Slim’s Twist Contest.
- Embarassing to admit…13 Going on 30. I love the Thriller dance in that movie which I only saw ONCE when it was on TV. Honestly. I think the part I like best about it is that it’s plausible that they would know all the moves since they used to practice it when they were young and Jennifer Garner is so earnest about trying to do it well. Plus, it revives a lame-o party. Come on, how many of us haven’t seen Thriller or a similar song revive a dragging wedding reception or office party.
Now, Amber, I know you’re the only one who will reply to (and probably know) all these scenes…give me your top 5.
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Random Thoughts on the Bus: Top 5 Favourite Movie Dance Scenes
In no particular order since the numbers just turn into bullets as we discovered…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
correction to your Pulp Fiction note: it's Mrs. Mia Wallace, not Neil (her husband's name is Marsellus)... :D
Ah, someone already beat me to the "Mia Wallace" punch - and I don't even know who it is?! Reveal yourself!
Anyway, I do know all the sequences mentioned, and love them. I can't seem to think of 5 right off the top of my head and I know I'm forgetting some, but here are some I like:
1- Any dance sequence in Saturday Night Fever is awesome, but the final dance sequence in the dance competition to "More than a Woman" is my all-time #1. I secretly wanted to learn it and do it at my wedding.
2- I also have fond memories of Dirty Dancing, but the final dance routine is not my fav. I'd have to say when she first enters the staff quarters and Patrick Swayze comes in and does a sexy dance with the blond to "Love Man". That always gets me, especially when they're all dancing down the line.
3- I'm not sure if this qualifies as a dance routine, as it's more of a performance, but I also love the final stage show in Priscilla Queen of the Desert - drag performance of "Mamma Mia"
Ah! It's funny, when I was typing it, I kept going over and over in my head and couldn't figure out the name in my head even though I could hear the voice. I won't go and change it though so the comments still make sense.
Post a Comment