As a new habit for the month quite awhile ago, I decided I should start eating breakfast. I don't need the lecture on how it's the most important meal of the day and "how could you not eat breakfast" - I just told you I started eating it. Generally, I bring a piece of frozen grainy bread into work and pop it in the toaster when I get here. I have peanut butter in my office so I slather some of that on and I'm good to go. Sometimes it's yogurt and I have a container of almonds here for when I forget and need a quick protein boost.
Toasting my bread this morning I couldn't help but wonder, again, why there's a side for if you're toasting one slice only. I really don't get it. Let's say the other side didn't go on if you only put in one slice...then it makes sense. Let's say the universe will fall out of balance if you put the bread in the wrong side...then it makes sense. Come to think of it, I suppose that could always be the reason since I've never risked it and put my single slice in the other side. Maybe tomorrow I should be a rebel.
My other issue with toasters is the "toaster leavin's". I'm thoroughly disgusted by all the little bits of toast in the bottom of the toaster. This is why Lee and I have one that has a little tray that pulls out so that you can clean them out. Bread goes mouldy and gross...does toast not do the same?
Monday, December 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Well, by toasting the bread you've removed much of the moisture, so I'd imagine mould is much less of a problem on toast than on bread, or that it happens much later. Whenever you cook anything the "rotting" process slows down.
Oh, I've also wondered about why there is a recommended slot for a single piece of toast. How did they pick it? Is it random, or is there a scientifically/engineering based reason? I'm really curious.
My toaster also has a "Pop Tarts" setting, which makes me laugh.
i'm fairly certain the dedicated one slice side has to do with the temperature gauge... the done-ness of the toast is determined by the temperature gauge...
Indeed - I tried toasting in the "not one-slice" this morning and it popped up very quickly but when I moved it to the other side, it toasted just the right amount. AND the toast police didn't catch me.
Post a Comment