I'm totally loving the new PC Blue Menu options. Now, everyone knows that PC likes to take products that people like and make their own version with a similar label and name. So, my clever father points out the other day...the margarine (Celeb) is a clever anagram of Becel! Tricky PC!
Next - Johnny Cash's song A Boy Named Sue was written by SHEL SILVERSTEIN! Now, if you don't know the song (okay, so most of you probably don't) or you don't know Shel Silverstein (c'mon people!) you won't get why that's crazy but Shel Silverstein writes kids' books (and adult as it turns out) and A Boy Named Sue involves some "serious" lines like "Now you gonna die". It's probably Johnny Cash's funniest song (not that he's known for his comedic music). I wouldn't have considered myself an authority on Johnny Cash but I discovered when watching an old televised concert that I know almost all his songs. Not that that makes me an authority on him but I feel comfortable with my claim that it's his funniest song. Although the line "He always thought that heaven was just a Dallas whore" is kind of funny when taken out of context of a different song.
My big accomplishment this weekend - I did my taxes for 2004! No, that wasn't a typo. But they're done and now I'm officially up to date. Dad helped me and I paid him back by teaching him double entry accounting. Believe it or not, it was a pretty fun weekend despite all the accounting.
Last night I went for dinner with Grampa. A good time was had by all, as usual. Kelsey's changed their menu AGAIN but I can always find something to eat there and Grampa's meal was still on the menu so no harm done.
What I'm reading now: Well, I'm a bit behind on this. I think I mentioned about the "fat guys trying to lose weight book" so I'm at All Families are Psychotic by Douglas Coupland. I liked it a lot. I didn't love the beginning...as with most Coupland books (shhh - don't tell Amber) I find the beginning intriguing but not enough to make me keep reading it and then it just gets better. I LOVED the last line. Long story but someone's going to space and someone else clips a lock of her hair and asks her to throw it so it'll burn on re-entry. When the person going to space asks why, she responds with something along the lines of "It's part of me and when people see it they'll think it's a star". It was said more eloquently and was better in context but it's a pretty powerful line when you know the woman's story.
What I'm actually reading now: A Million Little Pieces by James Fey. It's a little tough to read because of the way it's written but interesting so far. Especially given all the hype about it.
What I'm listening to now: Mambo Italiano by various artists.
Tuesday, March 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I would like to state for the record that I knew that Johnny Cash song before Walk the Line camed out. I did know it was written by Shel Silverstein, though Karoline had to point out to me that he is "that" poet/author.
Yup for me too on Johnny Cash. You guys should read the follow-up poem "Father of a Boy Named Sue". It's kind of weird. Nice to get the dad's perspective, and it is again comedic, but ends really strangely.
Shel Rocks the free world. As does Coupland. Even if you don't like him in the beginning, he gets ya in the end!
Amber
P.S. Good call on your dad's part with the PC name. Did you also know that Evian is naive spelled backward.... ;)
Amber
I haven't seen Walk the Line yet...is that song in it? Is there something about it? I'm still waiting for someone to watch it with!
No, Boy Named Sue is not in the movie. Father of a Boy Named Sue is just a sequel poem that SS wrote . . . it tells the story from the father's perspective, but he claims Sue went on to become a transvestite and they live together so that Sue can be the "woman" of the house and take care of the dad. Weird! I thought you saw the movie with Lorraine?
Amber
I did my 2005 taxes yesterday. High five!
I owe a boatload of money to the gov on account of me being contract for the better half of '05. So that sucks but it'll be better once James gets around to filing his and we have his refund to balance things out a little...
Also a staple at Kelsey's for me is the fish and chips. MMmmm so crispy... so good...
Post a Comment