I've been thinking about being a grad student. More accurately, reflecting on it. I think most traditional MBA programs are quite different than more grad programs but since I did the thesis option, mine was a bit more similar. I guess part of it is because I've been reading phdcomics.com and it's easy to relate! I don't know if it would be funny if you aren't a grad student/haven't ever been a grad student/aren't related to a grad student. Otherwise, it's pretty funny. It covers everything from crazy saving practices when you're working on a paper to the eternal hunt for free food. I've also been talking to other grad students (I shouldn't say "other" anymore since I'm not one) and they're in the world of applying for grants and trying to get their papers accepted to conferences. Plus, Adrian and I had a chat about taking your students' research and repackaging it so that it's yours (all while giving them credit...but everyone knows that the faculty member really gets all the credit).
I'm wondering if the fact that I'm better at doing things alone is partly because of my grad student experience. Not that I'm good at it, just better. In undergrad, you tend to be with people a lot more. As a grad student you do your research and even if you're in the same room as someone who's headed to the same class, you often will go separately because you're leaving at slightly different times. I'm wondering if it also explains why somedays I just want to have lunch by myself. I love having lunch with different people and have been a lot lately but some days I just want to hole myself up in my office and be alone. I don't remember doing that in undergrad (although I didn't have an office at the time).
OH! I should also mention - my new lunch passtime. I got tired of the online Sudoku (I still do them in writing) and now I'm addicted to neopets. Odd, but fun.
Later taters!
Tuesday, January 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hurray...very interesting...I'll have to check out that comic!
SEL
Post a Comment