Thursday, May 22, 2008

Brownies vs. professionals

As I mentioned before, I ran a big workshop last Thursday and Friday. While I was there, I couldn't help but notice that there are a lot of similarities between the girls and the adults. To name a few:

Brownies: always try to figure out how to be in a group with their friends. Are unhappy when they aren't with their friends and sometimes strategically organize it so they are.
Professionals: always try to figure out how to be in a group with their friends. Are unhappy when they aren't with their friends and outright break the rules to sit with them.

Brownies: every week, there are a few girls who don't wear their uniform claiming to their parents that we're doing something different this week.
Professionals: every time, there are a few people who don't dress appropriately because they won't be in "the office" and that somehow makes sweat suits appropriate for work.

Brownies: like to make very clear what they do and do not like to eat.
Professionals: like to make very clear that they do not like vegetables.

Brownies: have some weird lady with burnt, bandaged hands directing everyone.
Professionals: have some weird lady with burnt, bandaged hands directing everyone.

The primary differences are that the professionals don't have to go to the bathroom in pairs and stand up and leave when they're bored. Also, if they have to wait 20 minutes for coffee, their appearance changes drastically and they start to grow horns and a tail - the girls are used to waiting.

No comments: