Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Book Review: 20 Times a Lady by Karyn Bosnak

I thought this book would be mostly mindless drivel, mostly predictable and a little entertaining. I believe I was correct on all counts. Given that the author was made "famous" by getting herself into ridiculous amounts of debt and starting a website cyber-begging for money, I wasn’t expecting literary brilliance. I felt that her website was entertaining enough to deserve a few donations (not that I made any, but still) and I read her first book Save Karyn that she based on her experience. This book was her first piece of fiction and was based on a woman who discovers that her "number" is much higher than the national average and instead of accumulating more notches on her proverbial bedpost, she would try to make it work with one of the earlier men (IT being the happy marriage, 2.4 kids, picket fence life that all women should aspire to). The main reason I didn’t find it particularly enjoyable (even given my low expectations) is that the main character isn’t particularly likeable...sometimes you can believe that intelligent women do silly things or nice women do mean things. In this case, you can believe the latter but the former seems unlikely. However, all this was counteracted by several references to the movie Pretty in Pink and the scene that I mentioned in my Otis Redding post.

No comments: