Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Quiet, relaxing weekend

We made it to the cottage this past weekend and were looking forward to a nice quiet weekend. Which we got - until Saturday morning!

Mom and I went to get groceries and forgot the newspapers so we had to go back. Unfortunately, she tripped and hurt her ankle running in the store. These things happen but sometimes require a forced visit to the hospital. It's just sprained and she's fine but while she was at the hospital (with Dad, one of 2 cars and 2 of 3 cell phones)...

I looked at Annie (parents' puppy) at around 11:00 a.m. and noticed that her eyes were a little red. No worries, she might have some mild allergies. I looked at her again after the parents left for the hospital and, well, the easiest way to describe it is she looked like an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon when one of them sticks a helium pump in the other's mouth and inflates their head like a balloon. Her snout was twice its usual size and her eyes were almost swollen shut. I called Dad (batteries quickly dying) to find out where the Sharbot Lake vet clinic was. Knowing it was probably closed, I went anyway because I was worried my phone wouldn't hold out for calling around. It was closed but they had an emergency number in the window for a clinis about 45 minutes away. I called and the vet returned my call a few minutes later. She gave 3 options and since Annie looked scary but wasn't having any trouble breathing or anything, I went and bought Benadryl and we treated her successfully. Of course, the second I finished with the vet, my phone died. I had to borrow the pharmacist's phone to tell everyone she was okay (okay, the pharmacist forced me to because I was worried about long distance charges). '

Then everyone came home and we had margaritas. THE END.

No comments: