Has anyone else noticed that ignorant is the new "it" word? Apparently over and incorrectly using "myself" is so last week. Everyone that annoys people is now ignorant. "I got a call from this really rude guy and he said that he's tired of not getting an answer when he call, he's so ignorant!". Well, possibly but this hardly proves it. I don't understand how ignorant has become interchangeable with "an idiot". Just because someone is rude does not mean they are ignorant. In fact, most university campuses will prove this case.
The Free Dictionary's definitions of ignorant:
1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.
Note that number 4 is not "annoying and/or rude".
As my grade 12 English teacher used to say, "Words mean things, Dave". Note: I doubt Dave uses "ignorant" incorrectly because he would probably get mocked mercilessly by Amber. That's just what pops into my head that she used to say regularly when Dave would argue that everyone understood him regardless of him using a word incorrectly when she spent 40% of the class picking on him. Since I got 35% of the nagging and the balance was for the rest of the class, I felt for him...and was glad that it was his turn.
Monday, July 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Still doesn't beat out the vast majority of people who can not figure out the difference between fewer and less!
Post a Comment