Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Blissfully domestic weekend - eventually

Last weekend started out busy since Saturday night I had a "friends of the husband's family" holiday party and for a few hours before disappearing to a colleague's house warming party that I had committed to previously. Earlier in the day I got my hair cut - first time since last March. Parents' comments meandered around "it looked funny long - we always picture you with hair this length no matter what length it is". Coworkers' comments moved towards "it has an actual style to it now". Husband's mouth whistled but his eyes said "it's about bloody time". All in all, I'm not sure whether to be flattered or not!

After all that, quiet Sunday. Walked Dash, went to the library and for coffee with Mom. Now for me, blissfully domestic is normally an oxymoron but, every now and then, it feels really good just to clean something and cook. Mid-afternoon on Sunday I did some cleaning, cooked dinner and hit that "I feel like my life is a little more organized than it was this morning" zen. Those of you who don't know that zen...I'll try to relate it to other things that (when done occasionally) give me that feeling. Finishing making something that takes time (clothes, blankets), fixing the handle on the toilet so that you don't have to reach into the tank to flush, eating something off a plant you grew yourself (okay, okay, Grampa and Grammi grew but you planted), getting a small chunk of computer code to finally work after hours of debugging. All things that sometimes make you want to scream but are satisfying in the end. To top off the image of me as a 50's housewife, picture my husband napping on the couch during this time. To counteract it a bit, check out this website. I love Anne Taintor.

No comments: