At my boss’s suggestion, I signed up for a "career watch" service that lets you know when there are positions that you may be interested in coming up within our organization. You key in your background and some key words. Several times now, I’ve had "Meat Hygiene Supervisor"flagged. Looking at the key words I’ve highlighted, nothing hints at any of that. It made me remember that in high school, when we had to take those aptitude tests, one of my best matched jobs was always "Tug Boat Captain". As much as I enjoy boats, I don’t really see that as having a high career potential.
They seem to be about as accurate as the marketing firms that send me junk mail. In the same day, addressed to me or some variation on my name, I will receive a deal for a magazine for women over 40, something indicating that it can help me with problems that would be far more suited to an older man, products more suited to teenage girls and someone at the door asking if they can speak to my parents. Incidentally, my answer is almost always "sure, would you like their address (or phone number, depending)?" with a very sweet smile as I close the door (or hang up the phone).
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm pretty sure they ARE recruiting for tug boat captains right now...something about all the people who had an aptitude thought there were no jobs so now there's a shortage. I think you missed your calling. (Note: I think they really are.)
BTW: I'm pretty sure your parachute is fushia.
i was here.
Post a Comment