Friday, January 04, 2008

Book Review: The Spoils of Time Series

A few years ago, I read Penny Vincenzi’s trilogy that includes No Angel, Into Temptation and Something Dangerous. Someone loaned me one of them…but I couldn’t remember who so I couldn’t return it (if it’s you, I’m sorry! Please tell me so I can return it!). I remembered enjoying them so I gave them another go. They aren’t short (hence the recent lack of book reviews) but I enjoyed them. They revolve around the Lytton family that owns a publishing house in England and primarily the matriarch, Celia, although each book focuses primarily on a different generation. Since they span over a significant period of time, they include interesting settings such as both world wars and other social issues such as women entering the work force, en masse.

Honestly, it’s a bit like a high class soap opera. They’re fun to read and not completely trashy but it’s sort of like eating popcorn – you tell yourself that it’s not as bad for you as chips but it’s not exactly good for you either. The irony is that, despite the fact that the characters run a publishing house and are fastidious when it comes to editing, the books are not particularly well edited and have a fair number of typos in them. Oops.

No comments: